We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

8.14.2014

Easy Zucchini Noodle Bowl


It's been 4 months since I last posted, and for some reason after breakfast today, I thought - I think I'll post this one?! So here I am.

Mayday!
Since the last posting, Mayday happened, I went to the boundary waters, attended several lovely wedding/love festivities, visited Colorado, and watched a lot of Lynx basketball! And did garden tending and cooking in there too...some of which I may post about if I get back into the swing of things on the blog.

Boulder mountains

My gardening got a late start due to the late spring and being up north, but things are looking alright as we head into fall. The cucumbers and green beans are bountiful, with zucchini and eggplant not far behind. I'm hoping the fall lasts long enough for at least a few good winter squash, but we'll see!


I made a pork roast in the crockpot yesterday, and had some leftover broth from all the juices in there. I inevitably freeze that cup of pork broth and it gets lost in my freezer, so this morning I decided to just use it right away in an easy breakfast soup: zucchini noodles (or "zoodles"), some arugula, eggs and a bit of left over pork belly. It was super delicious, and in aftermath I realized it was partly inspired by a zucchini noodle bowl recipe I saw on a blog called Studio Snacks. All of the recipes are free of major allergins (wheat, dairy, soy and grains) and Cherry (the blogger) calls them "vegatable-forward" meals, which I find charming. Many are also Cantonese recipes since she grew up in Hong Kong. It's a new fave recipe checkout spot. My version is way simplified though.

Easy zucchini noodle bowl (for one!)
1 small zucchini
handful arugula (or spinach or swiss chard)
1/2 -1c. pork or chicken bone broth
fish sauce
coconut aminos
salt
slice of pork belly (opt)
egg or two
basil, chopped (opt)

1. Make zucchini noodles via mandoline and set aside.
2. Heat broth in a pot and keep on a low simmer. Add a dash of fish sauce, aminos, and salt if your broth is unsalted.
3. Cook pork and egg! I had pork belly left overs in the fridge, so I just cut a slice and re-heated it. If yours is raw, cook your slice/s longer. I fried my egg in the same pan as the pork belly.
4. While everything is cooking, get your bowl and fill it with the raw zucchini noodles and arugula. Pour the hot broth over the top (that will wilt the veggies to a nice texture) and top with fried egg and pork belly.
5. Serve with sriracha and chopped fresh basil on top! Cut green onions or garlic scapes would also be delicious here if you've got them.

No comments:

Post a Comment