We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

11.28.2012

Sauteed kale with craisins

I've been indulging myself a bit since Thanksgiving with a bit of extra sweet stuff - most recently in the form of craisins added to my breakfast greens. Yum. I am still finishing up my garden kale - it is down to some of the small pieces that are also a bit tender from the repeated freezing. It tastes so good!

This is one of those recipes that you don't really measure, but I'll give some estimates to serve 2. It is sort of a hybrid of a kale recipe KP always used to make me with kale, onions and raisins, along with a raw kale craisin salad that was at a recent potluck I was at.

Sauteed Kale with Craisins
small onion, sliced thin
Kale bunch, stalks removed and chopped
2+ T fat (coconut oil is always amazing with kale, so I recommend that)
1/4 c craisins
1 T cider vinegar
salt to taste

Heat a large cast iron pot on medium heat and add fat/oil. Add onions and saute for a few minutes until they begin to soften. Add kale - pile it up - pour on the vinegar and then put a lid on the pan. Keep the heat low and stir often to soften up all the kale/make the onions translucent. The coconut oil should coat the leaves and help moisten things, but you can add a few teaspoons of water if it seem a little dry. After 5 minutes or so, add the craisins and some salt. Continue cooking another 5-10 minutes until kale, onions, and craisins are soft.  Serve! 

*Note that some toasted nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans) would all be tasty on here as well.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Sounds delicious. I love the craisins + cider vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great and smells wonderful! Making this right now!

    ReplyDelete