We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

2.18.2012

Bohemian Brussels Sprouts

I have been eying the brussels sprouts recently (entirely due to some AMAZING ones that I had at Brasa a couple of weeks ago), but was feeling a little too cheap to actually buy them (the organic ones were $6 or $7/pound). And then I was at Mississippi Market, and they had conventional ones for $3/pound - so I went for it.

I was really wanting something sort of crispy - and found this recipe from The Clothes Make the Girl blog. I also came across a great idea to use the extra leafy bits that inevitably come off each sprout to make a "Brussels Sprout Chip". You just toss those leaves in some ghee or coconut oil, salt and pepper, and spread as a single layer on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 8 minutes. mmm.

Bohemian Brussels Sprouts
1 pound brussels sprouts
1 1/2 T coconut oil
1 clove garlic, minced (I omitted this)
1/2 T caraway
1/2 t paprika
1/2+ t smoky salt
salt and pepper to taste
drizzle of olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Chop off ends of brussels sprouts and quarter.
Melt coconut oil in small pan, and stir in garlic, caraway and paprika before pouring over sprouts. Stir well with a wooden spoon.
Layer brussels in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment and sprinkle with smoked salt*.
Bake for 30-35 minutes, stirring once or twice. Serve!

*I've gotten mildly obsessed with smoked sea salt lately, and another fancy salt called "fleur de sel avec epices grille" - which is the french way to say sea salt with grilled spices. And um, these things are damn tasty. Though not cheap (why I will buy fancy sea salt but not organic brussels sprouts is a question I also ask myself...) Anyway, I just tried a new smoked salt that Heidi Swanson recommends (she makes citrus salt with it, which I am going to try and will then post about). It is flaky and oh so good! No matter what kind you use, I do recommend the smoky salt over a regular sea salt.

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh, I love nothing more than fancy salts! (Also, remembering those sprouts is making my mouth water.) Marjorie gave me a gift certificate to a spice shop for my bday, and I spent all of it on 6 varieties of salt. You'll have to come over and sample them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! brussels sprouts and fancy salts. two of my favorite things. i made roasted cauliflower the other night with smoked salt and it was delightful. i also put it in chocolate chip cookies, pretty subtle but really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fancy salts! yes, next blogluck we can have a featured salt area with all of our fave salts?! why do they make everything SO good? I bet it was amazing in the cookies...

    ReplyDelete