We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

1.23.2012

And...more pancakes

You would think I was a super pancake freak or something...what with the pancake posts of late. But really, there are just so many pancake recipes. And I have tons of coconut flour that I got on sale sometime ago, and I wanted to find stuff to make with it.

So. Coconut flour = ground up coconut meat. I have not personally made my own - it seems risky - but one theoretically could. It adds a subtle coconut flavor, is less heartier than almond four, and also finer. It browns quickly too, so you have to watch the heat/oven time.

So, in what seems to be my search for pancake perfection, I discovered this recipe. It is fluffy, almost buckwheat-y tasting because of the coconut flour grain. They turned out delicious!

I changed it a little, mostly by using more coconut milk. The liquidity seems to vary A LOT depending on the brand of coconut and almond flour and the size of your eggs. I did half the recipe very easily in case you are cooking for one. But then I could only eat 3 pancakes because they are so filling. (The fourth I ate as a snack later...still great.) *I made these a second time, and this time it was 7 thinner pancakes?!

Blend in a food processor until frothy:
4 eggs

Add remaining wet ingredients and blend until combined, 30 seconds:
1 1/2 c. coconut milk
2 t. vanilla extract
1 T. honey

In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients:
1/2 c. coconut flour
1/4 c. almond flour
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg

Add dry ingredients to food processor/wet ingredients and buzz for 15-20 seconds. (The consistency here should be pourable - if it isn't, add a little more coconut milk.)

Fry on a hot griddle (on medium heat), greased with butter or coconut oil. Cook a few minutes on each side. Serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment