We are a collection of Minneapolis folks cooking, preserving, and harvesting local, seasonal foods. This blog-share is meant to inspire greater culinary genius, as well as continued local food invention. What are YOU concocting in that kitchen of yours?

8.19.2010

Green Enchilada Sauce

I actually made this sauce and froze it a week or so ago and am just now getting around to posting it. I love enchiladas in the fall and winter, but don't like the canned sauce with all of the weird stuff in there. It turns out it is embarrassingly easy to make. So when tomatillos appeared at the market last week - I had to do it.

I got this recipe from The Minnesota Homegrown Cookbook, which is an amazing collection of local food restaurants, including the Birchwood and Lucia's. There are lots of stunning photos too. I actually gave the cookbook as a gift, but snuck a few recipes before wrapping it up. This recipe is from El Norteno on Lake Street.

1/2 lb. tomatillos, husks removed, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
4 jalepenos, chopped

Simmer all ingredients in vegetable oil for 10 minutes. Process mixture until smooth and add salt to taste. And that is it! I froze my sauce in jars, with extra room to freeze.
*I have no idea how much my tomatillos weighed, so I guessed at amounts - and got way spicy sauce. Beware!

Here is El Norteno's enchilada recipe (Chicken) - though I tend to just mix beans and sauteed veggies with lots of cheese for mine:
10 corn tortillas
2 c. shredded chicken
1 1/2 c. chihuahua cheese
1 c. chicken broth
sour cream, chopped onion, cilantro for garnish

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Place less than 1.4 c. chicken and 2 T. cheese in each tortilla. Roll and place seam side down in a 9x13 baking dish. Pour sauce over all and sprinkle with additional cheese. Bake and garnish.
*Um, please note I have never made this recipe and must have missed what to do with that cup of chix broth. Pour it over as well?? and probably bake until browned?? oops.

2 comments:

  1. I just made this same recipe and it's totally delicious. I asked the guy at the farmer's market stand about the difference between yellow and green tomatillos he had. He told me to get the green ones if I was planning on making a really spicy sauce and the yellow ones for a more mild, sweet sauce.
    Since I was using some random peppers that were brought to my house a few nights ago, I chose one bunch of yellow and one green. I also browned the onions and garlic before adding the tomatillos on my second batch. Mmmm, can't wait for the first batch of enchiladas this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! i made this this morning after going to the farmer's market. it's really easy and really delicious. i took kp's suggestion on browning the onions and garlic and it turned out really well.

    ReplyDelete